Québec Food Exporters in the World
Québec stands out in international competitions in many food categories. Whether in cheeses, wines, ciders and beers, Québec products are recognized by their quality.
Cheeses and Dairy Products
The American Cheese Society (ACS) is a not-for-profit trade organization founded in 1983 to support the North American artisan and specialty cheese industry. ACS is the leader in promoting and supporting American cheeses. It provides the cheese community with educational resources and networking opportunities, while encouraging the highest standards of cheesemaking focused on safety and sustainability.
Québec cheese makers won 13 of the 374 awards!
2016 ACS Judging & Competition Results
CAMEMBERT – made from cow’s milk
3rd – Saputo Dairy Products Canada G.P., Québec
Camembert de Portneuf
TRIPLE CRÈME – SOFT RIPENED/CREAM ADDED – all milks
3rd – Saputo Dairy Products Canada G.P., Québec
OPEN CATEGORY – SOFT-RIPENED CHEESES – made from goat’s milk
3rd – Fromagerie Le Détour, Québec
CHEDDAR – AGED UP 12 MONTHS – all milks
1st – Agropur Canada, Québec
FRESH MOZZARELLA – 8 OZ. OR MORE (BALLS OR SHAPES) – all milks
3rd – Saputo Dairy Products Canada G.P., Québec
SHEEP’S MILK CHEESE AGED OVER 60 DAYS
2nd – La Moutonnière Inc., Québec
Fleur des Monts
UNSALTED BUTTER WITH OR WITHOUT CULTURES – made from cow’s milk
2nd – FromagerieL’Ancêtre Inc., Québec
L’Ancêtre Organic Unsalted Butter
BUTTER WITH OR WITHOUT CULTURES – made from goat’s, sheep’s, mixed, or other milks
3rd – La Moutonnière Inc., Québec
Sélection Caseus Contest (Québec)
Québec devoted cheese makers create unique cheeses
Sélection Caseus, the Québec cheese contest, aims to recognize the expertise of Québec cheese makers and the excellence of their products. The contest rewards the hard work of these flavour artists who design exceptional products. Each year, Québec’s cheese makers are invited to submit their best creations in the competition. All cheese makers, both large and small, can enter the race and see the fruit of their labour featured among the best cheeses Québec has to offer.
Caseus Awards 2016
BEST CHEESE OF QUÉBEC, CASEUS GOLD
Taliah, Fromagerie du Presbytère
Thermalized clothbound ewe’s milk cheddar, aged 10 to 16 months in a cellar. Grains of tyrosine are present in its firm rich yellow paste.
SECOND CHEESE OF QUÉBEC, CASEUS SILVER
La Madelaine, Fromagerie Nouvelle France
Pasteurized sheep’s milk, bloomy rind, soft paste. La Madelaine is a soft bloomy rind cheese made from pasteurized sheep’s milk. It’s aromas of dry hay are fine and delicate.
THIRD CHEESE OF QUÉBEC, CASEUS BRONZE
Louis Cyr, Fromagerie Bergeron Inc.
This firm lactose-free cheese is made from pasteurized milk. It is made according to the traditional Dutch recipe using a natural colourant called annatto, which gives it an orange tint. This cheese is aged for at least six months and has a texture that is brittle, smooth and firm, yet slightly creamy when eaten. Its flavour has subtle hints of toffee and fresh hazelnut, while its aroma is milky and sometimes slightly sulphuric. The wheel, with its natural rind, is wrapped in orange plastic to be removed before eating.
BEST RAW-MILK CHEESE
Louis d’or vieilli, Fromagerie du Presbytère
This firm, washed-rind farm cheese is made from raw milk and aged 9, 16 or 24 months. The beautiful 40-kg rounds are imposing in both size and flavour. Inspired by Jurassien techniques, Fromagerie du Presbytère has created a magnificent cheese, full of complex and delicate aromas after 9 months of ripening.
BEST ORGANIC CHEESE
Chemin Hatley, Fromagerie la Station Inc.
Made with thermized organic milk and aged for three months, this firm farm cheese features distinct floral and fruity aromas. The milk is drawn from Holstein cows on the organic-certified family farm. From mid-May onward, the cows are fed fresh grass in fields with a variety of plants, including white and wild clover, lotus, alfalfa, as well as grasses such as timothy and brome grass. These living crops provide the cheese with tastes that are specific to the Estrie region, which itself is strewn with steep hills, valleys and mountains.
To find out more about the contest and the complete list of winning cheese makers, go to http://www.caseus.ca/winners.php.
Global Cheese Awards (UK)
Established in 1861 the Global Cheese Awards is the longest running cheese competition in Britain. The annual Global Cheese Awards attracts thousands of cheese entries, crafted by companies of all sizes, from the smallest of artisan producers to large creameries and the world’s major manufacturers.
Silver – L’Ancêtre Organic Mild Cheddar, Fromagerie L’Ancêtre Inc., Québec
Gold – L’Ancêtre Organic Medium Cheddar, Fromagerie L’Ancêtre Inc., Québec
Silver – Sharp Cheddar, Fromagerie L’Ancêtre Inc., Québec
BUTTER – SALTED
Gold – L’Ancêtre Organic Salted Butter, Fromagerie L’Ancêtre Inc., Québec
Silver – L’Ancêtre Organic Salted Butter, Fromagerie L’Ancêtre Inc., Québec
Wine, Ice Cider, Spirits and Beer
Vinalies Internationales is the organisation behind a number of international wine competitions, both in France and abroad. It is supported by VinoFed (La Federation Mondiale des Grands Concours Internationaux de Vins et de Spiritueux), the OIV (Organisation Internationale de la Vigne et du Vin) and the UIOE (Union Internationale des Oenologues).
Each year more than 100 wine judges from all over the planet gather together in Paris, with the single goal of assessing the 3000+ wine samples submitted to the competition. Each wine is given a detailed set of tasting notes, and a score which will ultimately decide which medal is awarded.
- Crémant de Glace – Ice Cider, Cidrerie du Minot, Québec
- Minot Cidre des Glaces – Ice Cider (2014), Cidrerie du Minot, Québec
- Poiré de Glace – Pear Ice Wine (2014), Vignoble Coteau Rougemont, Québec
- Récolte Hivernale Cidre des Glaces – Ice Cider (2014), Cidrerie du Minot, Québec
- Mont de Glace Premium – Ice Cider (2014), Cidrerie Verger Léo Boutin, Québec
- Monde Vin de Glace Vidal Blanc – Ice Wine (2012), Vignoble Rivière du Chêne, Québec
- Vin de Glace Vidal Blanc – Ice Wine (2012), Vignoble du Marathonien, Québec
- Domaine Labranche Cidre de Glace – Ice Cider, Domaine Labranche, Québec
- Cidre de Feu Mousseux – Fire Cider (2013), Union Libre Cidre & Vin, Québec
- Réserve du Domaine Cidre de Glace – Ice Cider (2013), Domaine Cartier-Potelle, Québec
- Domaine Saint-Jacques Vin de Glace – Ice Cider (2011), Domaine Saint-Jacques, Québec
- Neige Première Cidre de Glace – Ice Cider (2014), Groupe CidreCo, Québec
- Domaine Labranche Maple Wine – Liquor, Domaine Labranche, Québec
- Canadian Shield Whisky – Spirit, Corby Spiritueux, Québec
Finger Lakes International Wine Competition (US)
Finger Lakes International Wine Competition is recognized as North and South Americas largest charitable wine competition. This event is committed to promoting the entire wine industry. More than 3500 wines have been entered from 900 wineries in 27 countries, including all 50 United States and 6 Canadian provinces in the last competition.
Best Ice Wine
- L’Orpailleur Vin de Glace – Ice Wine (2013), Vignoble de l’Orpailleur, Québec
Best Fruit Wine
- Cidre de Glace – Ice Cider (2013), Union Libre Cidre & Vin, Québec
- Des Glaces IGP – Ice Cider (2014), Cidrerie du Minot, Québec
- Vendanges Tardives – Late Harvest White (2011), Domaine de Lavoie, Québec
- Le Blanc de Lemay – White Blend – Non-vinifera (2014), La Charloise, Québec
- Chevalier – Mead, Miel Nature Inc., Québec
- Cuvée Prestige – Mead, Miel Nature Inc., Québec
- Miel-érable – Flavored Wines, Miel Nature Inc., Québec
- Vendange tardive – Late Harvest White (2014), Vignoble du Marathonien, Québec
International Cider Challenge (UK)
The International Cider Challenge is designed to recognise the diversity and range of packaged products within this dynamic and growing category. Ciders entered into the tasting categories are blind tasted by an expert panel of independent judges and assessed according to their taste, appearance and aroma. Another element to this prestigious competition is the design and packaging awards which recognise the best design within the cider sector : originality, creativity, innovation and relevance to target market.
- Ice Cider Labranche, Domaine Labranche, Québec
GOLD MEDAL WINNERS
- Fire Cider Labranche (sweet), Domaine Labranche, Québec
- Sparkling Cider Labranche (medium), Domaine Labranche, Québec
- Neige Première Cidre de Glace – Ice Cider (2012), Groupe CidreCo, Québec
World Beer Cup (US)
The World Beer Cup is a global competition which ultimately creates greater consumer awareness about different beer styles and flavor profiles while promoting international brewing excellence. Every two years, a highly qualified professional panel of beer judges honors the top three beers in 91 categories with gold, silver, and bronze awards. The World Beer Cup, often referred to as “The Olympics of Beer Competition,” is the most prestigious beer competition in the world. The next World Beer Cup will be held in 2018.
- Glutenberg India Pale Ale – category Gluten-Free Beer, Brasseurs Sans Gluten, Québec
- La Saison du Tracteur – category French & Belgian-Style Saison, Microbrasserie Le Trou du Diable, Québec
- Glutenberg Lapsang d’Automne , category Gluten-Free Beer, Brasseurs Sans Gluten, Québec
- La Grivoise de Noel – category Belgian-Style Dark Strong Ale, Microbrasserie Le Trou du Diable, Québec
World Beer Awards (UK)
The World Beer Awards are the global awards selecting the very best internationally recognised beer styles. This annual tasting selects, awards and promotes the ‘World’s Best Beers’ to consumers and the trade throughout the world. Judging is blind with regional style heats held in Asia, Europe and the Americas. All regions have their own Chairman and group of judges who select the style winners in their region. Style winners from all regions are then tasted against each other to select the World’s Best Style.
The Americas – Canada Best Beers – Results 2016
- Belgh Brasse Mons Dubbel d’Abbaye – Dark Beer Belgian Style Dubbel, Belgh Brasse Mons Dubbel d’Abbaye, Québec
- Frampton Brasse Nuit d’automne – Dark Beer Belgian Style Strong Dark , Frampton Brasse, Québec
- La Voie Maltee La Pure-Laine – Flavoured Beer – Honey & Maple, La Voie Maltée , Québec
- Unibroue 17 Grande Rèserve – Flavoured Beer – Wood Aged, Unibroue, Québec
- Le Trou Du Diable La Pitoune – Lager – German-style Pale , Le Trou du Diable, Québec
- Frampton Brasse Sieur de Léry – Lager – Helles / Münchner , Frampton Brasse, Québec
- Les Trois Mousquetaires Rousse – Lager – Vienna , Les Trois Mousquetaires, Québec
- Les Trois Mousquetaires Série Signature Sticke Alt -Pale Beer – Altbier , Les Trois Mousquetaires, Québec
- Charles Henri Amber Ale Ambrée – Pale Beer – Amber Pale Ale, Brasserie Les 2 Frères, Québec
- Siboire Trip d’Automne – Pale Beer – Belgian Style Tripel, Siboire Microbrasserie, Québec
- La Voie Maltee Ambigue – Pale Beer – Bitter 4 – 5%, La Voie Maltée, Québec
- Pit Caribou IIPA de la Sorciere – Pale Beer – Imperial / Double IPA , Microbrasserie Pit Caribou, Québec
- Cyclope Dzêtà – Pale Beer – IPA, Brasserie Dunham, Québec
- St-Pancrace Pointe-Noire – Stout & Porter – Stout , Microbrasserie St-Pancrace, Québec
- Unibroue Blanche De Chambly – Wheat Beer – Belgian Style Witbier, Unibroue, Québec
- Unibroue Noire De Chambly – Dark Beer – Belgian Style Dubbel, Unibroue, Québec
- La Chouape Gras Dur – Dark Beer Belgian – Style Strong, La Chouape, Québec
- Unibroue Éphémère Apple – Flavoured Beer – Fruit & Vegeteable, Unibroue, Québec
- Unibroue Éphémère Apple – Fruit Beer, Unibroue, Québec
- Supermoine no.3 – Deze monnik is Dronken – Flavoured Beer – Wood Age, Brasserie Dunham, Québec
- Bristol – Pale Beer – Amber Pale Ale, Corsaire, Québec
- Microbrasserie du Lac Saint-Jean Tante Tricotante – Pale Beer – Belgian Style Tripel, Microbrasserie du Lac St-jean, Québec
- Le Trou du diable Les 4 Surfeurs de l’Apocalypso -Pale Beer – IPA, Le Trou du Diable, Québec
- Frampton Brasse 1815 – Pale Beer – Pale Ale, Frampton Brasse, Québec
- Hickson Porter Baltique – Stout & Porter – Strong Porter, Brasserie Les 2 Frères, Québec
- Siboire Capricieuse – Wheat Beer – Belgian Style Witbier, Siboire Microbrasserie, Québec
- La Voie Maltee La Rabat-Joie -Flavoured Beer, Fruit & Vegeteable, La Voie Maltée, Québec
- Microbrasserie Le Grimoire Révolte Irish Red Ale – Pale Beer – Amber Pale Ale, Le Grimoire, Québec
- Le Trou Du Diable La Morsure – Pale Beer – IPA, Le Trou du Diable, Québec
- Siboire Inspiration – Pale Beer – IPA , Siboire Microbrasserie, Québec
- Galere Golden ale – Pale Beer – Pale Ale, Corsaire, Québec
- Le Trou du diable Le Herisson – Sour Beer – Lambic, Le Trou du Diable, Québec
- Microbrasserie Moulin 7 Or Blanc – Wheat Beer – Belgian Style Witbier, Moulin 7 Microbrasserie, Québec